Oct 28, 2009

IN THE MOOD FOR MUFFINS

SONY DSC
I'm sure all you foodies out there know what that irresistible feeling for late late night baking is all about, right? Especially when you know that after a long day at work there is nothing better then what the relaxing effect of mixing up some sugar, flour, eggs and butter can bring.

Well that was what my late night was all about yesterday, and I was in the mood for muffins.Since there are so many muffin recipes out there in the food blogosphere, this will just have to be the gazillionth addition to it all I guess.

But, I must say, these muffins are extra-delicious and fit perfectly in this autumn season when all you want to do is cocoon under a tree, branching out with beautiful red & yellow leaves, with a cup of tea in one hand and a muffin in the other.
SONY DSC
SONY DSC

So whenever you find yourself under an autumn tree, please bring along with you one of these speculoos-apple muffins. A simple moment of pure bliss.

Just throw (almost) everything in:
SONY DSC
(and no- that's not peanut butter, it's pate de speculoos. A totally addictive scrummy yummy spread that tastes of fabulous speculoos)
SONY DSC

Sprinkle over some caramelized chopped hazelnuts if you wish, and it's ready to go in the oven!
SONY DSC

25 minutes later, this is what you get, mmmmm:
SONY DSC

Inside, the diced apples make such a perfect match with the speculoos flavour:
SONY DSC

Go ahead, take one & indulge!
SONY DSC

Recipe for Apple-Speculoos muffins (makes 8):

2 eggs
90gr sugar
90gr butter, softened
Vanilla
70gr pate à speculoos
30ml liquid cream
110gr flour
Baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 large apple, diced
Chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 160C. In a bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, butter, vanilla, pate a speculoos and liquid cream. Then add the flour, baking powder and salt; mix well. Finally throw in the diced apple and stir batter gently. Fill muffin moulds with the batter, sprinkle with some chopped nuts (plain or caramelized) and bake for 25 minutes.

9 comments:

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Now I know what to do with that jar of speculoos that someone sent me from Belgium. Do you suppose it could be baked as a cake, in a loaf pan, for instance?

Marianna said...

yes of course, any form you want! the speculoos spread gives such a wonderful taste to the batter, give it a try!

Maria said...

I'v enever tried speculoos and now I am intrigued. The topping looks divine and the muffins so moist. Yum!

Nina Timm said...

I know Spekulaas" cookies, so this spread must be fantastic. Great to use it in a muffin!!!

Manja said...

Oh my, I live in the Netherlands but I never knew that Speculoos existed! (I am not Dutch, though). Anyways, I need to try this out!

Sari @ Cook Your Dream said...

Wow, these muffins look scrumptious! I would make them straight away, I'm just afraid I can't buy pate à speculoos in London :-(

Anonymous said...

How does one in Australia get their hands on one of these jars of specaloos?

Anonymous said...

Hi! Devono essere buonissimi! They must be very very yummy! Exactly what I was looking for!
Where did you find the paste???

Marianna said...

Elizabeth and Jared, lavaligiadigiulia: I'm not sure how easy it is to find outside of France/Belgium/Holland (where Im guessing it's easy to get a hold of!) but do try at speciality shops or in the "intl cuisine" aisles. Hope you find something!