Jan 2, 2013

Wonderful Spinach Tart


A belated Happy New Year to everyone! With the festive season coming to it's end, I have to admit I'm very happy all this holiday food business is over... all the indulgence was starting to get to me! You're expected to dress up, look your best, and spend your time fueled on meals that quadruple your waistline and then running on a treadmill like a crazy hamster in a wheel. And then run some more once it's all over! It doesn't make any sense if you ask me :) On the upside however, I didn't mind the endless hours cooking up recipes! 

Anyway, this year I'm hoping to share lots of delicious awesomeness with you guys. For starters, there's this recipe I'm really excited to share- it's a superb spinach tart that I've been eating since as long as I can remember. My mom would make this so often...so I have it embedded in my taste buds at this point! Rich with spinach, pomegranate and walnuts, it's at once delicious and beautiful. An alchemistic and colourful combination that also includes a tangy sumac spice twist. 


Bonus points: it's easy to make and also great for the vegans and vegetarians out there! 
Pomegranate & chopped up walnuts make such a wonderful match with spinach
Top it all off on a roll of puff pastry
Bake, slice and eat!

Wonderful Spinach, Pomegranate & Walnut Tart

700gr (25 oz) steamed spinach
1 pomegranate (seeds only)
1 onion, finely chopped
200gr (7 oz) chopped toasted walnuts*
1 teaspoon sumac
Salt & Pepper
1 puff pastry roll

Preheat oven to 200C /400F. Roll out the puff pastry on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. 

Drain the water from the steamed spinach and then mix with all the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread spinach mixture over puff pastry. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow to cool for just a few minutes before slicing up and enjoying. 

*Toast walnuts in a pan for a few minutes, on a high heat stove. Keep a close eye and shake the pan every now and then as you don't want the walnuts to burn. This should take just a few minutes- you'll know when they're ready when they're slightly darker and a discrete nutty smell begins to infuse in the kitchen! 

No comments: